1. The "Category" of the Hurricane means nothing in terms of the damage the storm can cause.
- When Sandy hit New Jersey and New York City it was barely a Category 1 storm... the devastation on the
Jersey Shore is almost catastrophic...
2. National Grid seems to have learned a few things since "Irene" last year...
3. Some people cannot see past their own lives.
- people online complaining about losing the food in their refrigerator, while others on the news watch their
homes being swept out to sea...
- a customer at the "Coffee Grinder" claiming that the fact she lost power is, "just devastating"... behind her
on the television the news was reporting on a fire in Queens which claimed over 100 homes...
- when you go down to the beach when they tell you NOT to, your are putting the lives of potential rescue
workers at risk... not just your own!!!
- No you can't "go for a ride to your friend's house" - the Rhode Island Government and the United States
Federal Government explicitly told people to stay off the roads - sorry, going to your friend's because you
are bored is not an emergency...wake up!!!
4. Students have absolutely NO IDEA why school districts cancel school...
- It had nothing to do with how "nice" it is outside, it has to do with the potential to lose power during school &
keeping the roads clear for crews to fix power lines
- Just because YOU didn't lose power, does not mean thousands of people didn't (this one could also be an
example for #3)
5. I would never want to work in Customer Service for an airline... having to deal with people complaining that
their flights are canceled during one of the largest, most powerful storms in recorded HUMAN HISTORY
would send me over the edge!!!
6. Disasters (natural or otherwise) always bring out the very best in people... and the very worst...
7. When electronics go down, I am no better than most of the kids I teach! I need to be connected!!!!
Please feel free to post other things that you may have learned.... or just comment on my various learning experiences...