Cinnamon is a caustic spice, which means it is acidic and corrosive, and according to the American Association of Poison Control trying to gulp it down can cause choking, throat irritation and even a collapsed lung. In 2012, 222 people were treated in poison centers and emergency rooms because of attempts at the cinnamon challenge.
Sixteen year old Dejah Reed took that challenge last February when she inhaled some of the cinnamon into her lungs. She couldn't breathe and was brought to the hospital after her father found her struggle for air with her face a pale bluish color. She was hospitalized for four days and now has asthma attacks when running or when speaking too quickly.